Thursday, January 22, 2009
Friday, December 5, 2008
- Google : The name started as a joke boasting about the amount of information the search engine would be able to search. It was originally named "Googol", a word for the number 1 followed by 100 zeroes. After founders - Stanford graduate students Sergey Brin and Larry Page presented their project to an angel investor, they received a cheque made out to "Google".
- Apple Computers : It was the favourite fruit of founder Steve Jobs. He was three months late in filling a name for the business, and he threatened to call his company "Apple Computers" if the other colleagues didn't suggest a better name before 5 O clock.
- CISCO : It is short for San Francisco.
- Compaq : This name was formed by using COMp, for computer, and PAQ to denote a small integral object.
- Hotmail : Founder Jack Smith got the idea of accessing e-mail via the web from anywhere in the world. When Sabhir Bhatia came up with the business plan for the mail service, he tried all kinds of names ending with "mail" and finally selected hotmail as it included the letters "HTML" - the programming language used to write web pages. It was initially referred to as HoTmAiL with selective uppercasing.
- Hewlett Packard : Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard tossed a coin to decide whether the company they founded would be called Hewlett-Packard or Packard-Hewlett.
- Intel : Bob Noyce and Gordon Moore wanted to name their company as "Moore Noyce" but that was already trademarked by a chain of hotels. So they decided to name as Intel, an acronym for INTegrated ELectronics.
- Microsoft : Coined by Bill Gates to represent the company that was devoted to MICRO computer SOFTware. It was initially called Micro-Soft and later became popular as MicroSoft.
- Motorola : Founder Paul Galvin came up with this name when his company started manufacturing radio for cars. The popular radio company at the time was called Victrola.
- Sony : It originated from the Latin word "Sonus" meaning sound, and "sonny" a slang used by Americans to refer to a bright youngster.
- SUN : Founded by 4 Stanford University students, SUN is the acronym for Stanford University Network.
A lady's handbag was stolen without her knowledge in a shopping mall. The handbag contained her mobile phone,credit card and other items. And when she realised that the handbag was missing, she called her husband and she was shocked to hear these words from the other end - "Ive just received your SMS asking about our card PIN number and I replied a little while ago".
By the time they rushed to the bank, it was too late. The bank staff told them that all the money had been withdrawn. Actually the pickpocket had used the stolen hand phone to SMS "Hubby" in the contacts list and got hold of the PIN number. And within minutes he had withdrawn all the money from the bank.
Morale of the lesson: Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your contacts list. Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby, Sweetheart, Dad, Mum etc.
And very importantly when sensitive information is being asked through SMS, CONFIRM by calling back before sending a reply.
Just try this :
- Copy any text by pressing Ctrl+C
- Click the link: http://www.sourcecodesworld.com/special/clipboard.asp
- You will see the text you copied was accessed by this webpage.
So dont keep sensitive data like passwords, PIN No, Credit card numbers in the clipboard while surfing the web. It is extremely easy to extract the text stored in the clipboard to steal your information.
Thursday, December 4, 2008
Thought of sharing this with you all. These are the new lanes at Kathipara flyover:
Airport to Guindy -> 1-11-4-9-13
Airport to Vadapalani -> 1-11-14
Airport to Porur -> 1-2-12
Porur to Guindy -> 12-9-13
Porur to Vadapalani -> 8-14
Porur to Airport -> 12-5-11-1
Vadapalani to Airport-> 14-11-1
Vadapalani to Porur -> 14-11-7-12
Vadapalani to Guindy -> 6-13
Guindy to Vadapalani -> 13-9-3-11-14
Guindy to Porur -> 13-9-12
Guindy to Airport -> 13-10-1
Best part is you can go round and round and...
One full cycle is 11-4-5-11-7-3-11.
Hope it was useful for you guys...
Wednesday, December 3, 2008
- Dont eat fruits immediately - Fruits after meals will cause stomach to be bloated with air. Therefore take fruit 1-2 hour after meals or 1 hour before meal.
- Dont drink tea - Because tea leaves contain a high amount of acid. This substance will cause the protein content in the food we consume to be hardened thus difficult to digest.
- Dont smoke - Experts say that smoking a cigarette after meal is comparable to smoking 10 cigarettes !! (Chances of cancer is higher)
- Dont loosen your belt - Loosening the belt after meal will easily cause the intestine to be twisted and blocked.
- Dont bathe - Bathing after meal will cause the increase of blood flow to the hands, legs and body leading to decrease in the amount of blood around stomach. This will weaken the digestive system.
- Dont walk about - Walking will cause the digestive system to be unable to absorb the nutrition from the food we intake.
- Dont sleep immediately - The food consumed will not be digested properly which will lead to gastric and infection in our intestine.
When the inside of your nose gets a tickle, a message is sent to a special part of your brain called the sneeze center. The sneeze center then sends a message to all the muscles that have to work together to create the amazingly complicated process that we call the sneeze. And this entire activity takes place in seconds !!!! It is the job of the sneeze center to make all the muscles work together, in just the right order, to send that irritation out of your nose. And fly it does - sneezing can send tiny particles speeding out of your nose at upto 100 miles per hour!!!
Causes of sneezing are mainly due to cold air, dust or pepper. When you catch a cold in your nose, a virus has made a temporary home there and is causing lot of swelling and irritation.
Did you know that you always close your eyes when you sneeze?
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Yes, such a feature is available, but for obvious reasons our politicians have never disclosed it. This is called the "49O".
Why should you go and say "I VOTE NOBODY". Because in a ward, if a candidate wins, say by X votes, and that particular ward has received 49O votes more than that of X votes, then that polling will be cancelled and will have to be re-polled. Not only that, but the candidature of the contestants will be removed and they cannot contest the repolling, since people had already expressed their decision on them. This would bring fear into the parties and hence look for genuine candidates for their parties for election. This would change the way, of our whole political system. It is surprising why the Election Commission has not revealed such a feature to the public.